Heavens to Betsy!

Heavens to Betsy!

Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Robert Hodges, Jr. ( d. 1742 ) of Maryland, Virginia & Bertie County, NC

Robert Hodges moved from Maryland through Virginia and settled in Bertie County, NC prior to March 30, 1740 and died there prior to August of 1742.  ( It was noted by Carl Swain, genealogist, that when Robert purchased land in North Carolina he paid for it with Virginia money.) He left a 1740 Bertie, NC will that named his widow, Ann and six children;  John , Richard 1692 - April 16, 1751 ( m. Sarah), Elias 1704- 1779 (m. Mary), Ann ( m. Joseph Moore), Olive (m. Edmond Wiggins) and Mathew ( m. Isaac Williams), Sarah (m. Jno. Cain ).

It should be noted that  the very violent Tuscarora Indians in this area were not defeated until 1712. In 1721 Frances Parker (an allied family) sold land in VA,  and  in 1725 moved from Isle of Wight, VA to Bertie County, NC.  Families  moved together  for safety and settled on waterways for transportation  to escape the Indians. 


Colonial Bertie County North Carolina Deed Books A-H
B 245  William Gray To Robert Hodges, March 7, 1726/27. 80 pds. for 180 A. On NES little Roquis Swamp.  Adj. James Williams, Richard Milton.  Wit:  John Gray, Joseph Moor.  March Court.  (note: Wittness Joseph Moore is the son in law of Robert Hodges, Jr  who married his daughter,Ann, listed in his will as Ann Moor.)
D 27  Christopher Gewin, Jun. to Robert Hodges Aug. 30, 1733.  20 pence for 20 A. Adj. Robert West.  Wit:  John Harrell, jurat, Joseph Harrell.  Feb. Court 1733.
D 28  Christopher Gewin, Jun. To Robert Hodges.  Aug. 30, 1733/34.  32 pds. for 150 A. On NS Morratock River at "Remaroy Marsh" at Flaggy Run.  Adj  Henry Roades.  Wit:  John Harrell, Joseph Harrell.  Feb. Court 1733.
F 402  Richard Hodges of Bluford Co, NC to George House.  Feb 7, 1742/43.  55 pds.  for 150 A. on NS Morattack River at Runerry Marsh on Flagg Run.  Adj. ____ Nairon, Henry Roades, Wit: John Harrell, Joseph Harrell.  Feb. Court 1742.
F 403  Richard Hodge to George House. Feb. 7, 1742.  15 sh. for 20 A. On NS Morattuck River in NES Robert West.  Wit:  John Harrell, Joseph Harrell, Jesse Harrell.  Feb. Court 1742.

Transcribed Will of Robert Hodges by Carl Swain, genealogist:

North Carolina State Archives
Secretary of State Papers
In the Name of God Amen.  The Thirty day of March 1740, I Roburt Hogges of the County of Bartie being in good health and perfect sences and memory. Thanks be unto God their fore Calling to Mind the Mortality of My Body and Knowing that it is Appointed for all Men once to dye do Make and Ordain this My Last Will and Testament. That Is to Say Principally and first of all I Give and Recommend My Soul into the hands of God that Gave it to And My Body I Recommend to the Earth to be buried in decent Cristien burriell at the discretion of My Exeutors not douting but at the General Resurrection I Shall receive the Same again by the Mightly power of God--  And as touchen Such Worldly Estate Whearwith it hath pleased God to bless Me in this Life I Give Demise and Dispose of the Same in the following Manner and Form---
Imprimis I Give and bequeath to My Loving Wife one Negro Garl Named Jene to hur and hur one disposen
Item I give and bequeath to My Son Elias Hogges one Negro Man Named Peter---
Item I give and bequeath to My two sons John and Richard Hogges one Negro Man Named Dick between them and to my Son John Hogges the plantation and Land in Virginia that he Now Lives upon to him and his heirs forever and to My Son Richard Hogges a plantation and Land in Bartie County in unarow Meders Whear he now Lives to him and his heirs forever.  Item I give and bequeath to My Three daughters Ann Moor and Ollive Wigens and Marthew Williams Each of them a Fether bed and coverings as belongs to them and I Give and bequeath to my daughter Sary Cain My Plantation that I now live upon in Bartie County and all the Land belonging to it to hur and hur heirs and one feather bed and covering that belong to it and that to be hur shear.  I give and bequeath to My Loven Wife Ann Hogges the use of all My whole Estate hur life time willd and on willd and after hur deceased all My Estate with in dors and with out that is not Given in Legesies To be equally devided among My Three Sons and three daughters that is Ann Ollive and Mathew and they to Chuse among themselves three Men to devid It and Every one to take his Equall part and I Like wise Constitu Make and ordain My Son Elias Hogges and My Son Richard Hogges and My Son In Law Isaac Williams My Executors of this My Last Will and Testament and I doe Hearby utterly disallow Revoake and disannul all and Every other former Testaments Wills Legacies and bequests and Executors by me in any Wayes before Named Willed and bequeathed Ratifing and Confirming this and no other to be My Last Will and Testament In Witness Whereof I have heare unto Set My Hand and Seal the day and Year above writen.
Signed Sealed published pronounced and declared by the sd Roburt Hogges as his last will and testament in the presents of us the Subscribers-- Needham Bryan, William Bryan.         Robert Hogges (his mark)
Bertie County Ss.  August Court 1742.  Present His Majesty's Justices  These may Certify that the above Will of Robert Hogges was duly proved in open Court by the Oaths of Needham Bryan, Adam Rabey and William Bryan Evidences thereto, & that Richard Hodges & Elias Hodges took the Oath of Executors & c.  Test.  Henry Delon  Cler. Cor.

Reference:  1740 Bertie Co., NC Will of Robert Hodges adm. August 1742 with wife, Ann, and daughters, Ann Moore, Olive Wiggins, and  Mathew with sons John, Richard and Elias named, The Marlboro Hodges Family by Jessie Lotta Hodges Unpublished Genealogy Manuscript from The South Caroliniana Library, Columbia, SC. Lucille Hodges Interview and Papers. Colonial Bertie County North Carolina Deed Books A-H 1720-1757,  Abstracted By:  Mary Best Bell, 2nd. Edition Published By:  Southern Historical Press.

No comments:

Post a Comment